"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities again and again. We did, time and time again. Since he was in middle school, it was no surprise to anyone who knew him to hear that he was the shooter. Those talking about how we should have not ostracized him, you didn’t know this kid. OK, we did. We know that they are claiming mental health issues, and I am not a psychologist, but we need to pay attention to the fact that this was not just a mental health issue. He would not have harmed that many students with a knife."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/17/us/florida-student-emma-gonzalez-speech/index.html
Out of these several statements, the right wingers extracted:
"Since he was in middle school, it was no surprise to anyone who knew him to hear that he was the shooter. Those talking about how we should have not ostracized him? You didn’t know this kid, OK? We did."
Even in the out of context part is there any hint that Emma admits to bullying Cruz. It just isn't there.
It reminds some of us of the way the rightwingers willfully misread President Clinton's famous "despise the military" letter.
__________________
Read what another classmate, Isabelle Robinson, had to say in a NYTIMES OP-ED piece:
"Despite my discomfort, I sat down with
him, alone. I was forced to endure his cursing me out and ogling my
chest until the hourlong session ended. When I was done, I felt a surge
of pride for having organized his binder and helped him with his
homework.
Looking back, I am
horrified. I now understand that I was left, unassisted, with a student
who had a known history of rage and brutality."