Thursday, August 26, 2004

Swift Boats? In Cambodia? Say It Ain't So

Did I predict we'd catch O'Neill lying again? Yes, I believe I did. He went on ABC's This Week and had this to say about swift boats getting into Cambodia.
O’NEILL (8/22/04): You asked about Cambodia. How do I know he’s not in Cambodia? I was on the same river, George. I was there two months after him. Our patrol area ran to Sa Dec, it was 50 miles from Cambodia. There isn’t any “watery border.” The Mekong River's like the Mississippi. There were gunboats stationed right up there to stop people from coming. And our boats didn't go north of, only slightly north of Sa Dec. So it was a made-up story. He’s told it over fifty times, George. That was on the floor of the Senate [in 1986].
But in 1971, he had THIS to say about swift boats getting into Cambodia.
O'NEILL (1971): I was in Cambodia, sir. I worked along the border on the water.

NIXON: In a Swift boat?

O'NEILL: Yes, sir.
Someone help me here. Did O'Neill lie to Nixon? Or did he lie to ABC?

Thanks to the Daily Howler for highlighting the discrepancy here.