Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Moore's Reputation

Read it for yourself. From Charles Bethea, The New Yorker:


''I spoke or messaged with more than a dozen people—including a major
political figure in the state—who told me that they had heard, over the
years, that Moore had been banned from the mall because he repeatedly
badgered teen-age girls. Some say that they heard this at the time,
others in the years since. These people include five members of the
local legal community, two cops who worked in the town, several people
who hung out at the mall in the early eighties, and a number of former
mall employees.'' 




"Gadsden’s current law-enforcement community could not confirm the
existence of a mall ban on Moore. But two officers I spoke to this
weekend, both of whom asked to remain unnamed, told me that they have
long heard stories about Moore and the mall. “The general knowledge at
the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the
mall for high-school dates,” one of the officers said. The legal age of
consent in Alabama is sixteen, so it would not be illegal there for a
man in his early thirties to date a girl who was, say, a senior in high
school. But these officers, along with the other people I spoke to, said
that Moore’s presence at the mall was regarded as a problem. “I was told
by a girl who worked at the mall that he’d been run off from there, from
a number of stores. Maybe not legally banned, but run off,” one officer
told me. He also said, “I heard from one girl who had to tell the
manager of a store at the mall to get Moore to leave her alone.”"




"The second officer went further. “A friend of mine told me he was banned
from there,” he said. He added, “I actually voted for Moore. I liked him
at one time. But I’m basically disgusted now, to be honest with you.
Some of the things he’s said recently, I’ve changed my tune completely
about this guy.” He went on, explaining why Moore no longer appeals to
him. “When I heard what he said on ‘Hannity’ the other night,” he said,
referring to an appearance Moore made on Sean Hannity’s radio
show
last Friday, “I
almost stood straight up. The thing about how he’s never dated anybody
without their mother’s permission, that appalled me. That made me want
to throw up. Why would you need someone’s permission to date somebody?
I’m probably gonna write in Luther Strange.”"






 



https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/locals-were-troubled-by-roy-moores-interactions-with-teen-girls-at-the-gadsden-mall