Monday, March 12, 2007

The World According to Karen Finley

Karen Finley gave this interview to The Nation in which she offers us her take on the Bush psyche:
"What I'm trying to do here is take an analytic approach and look at his pathology as the reason for our fascination. I think that I try to explore his reasons for going to war and his failures as a human being. I also think that his pathology is based on his desires of patricide. I feel that he wants to get rid of his own father. Bush's sister died of leukemia when he was very young and his father was not around...When children came to the door and asked him to play, he would tell them, 'I'm sorry, but my sister died. I have to take care of my mother.' I feel that he resents his father to a degree that's Oedipal and that he has disguised his own desire of getting rid of his father with his desire to get rid of Saddam Hussein. I could never understand why he was so fixed on tying Saddam to 9/11. I think he is replacing his wish to get rid of his father with Saddam's wish to get rid of his father. He's not protecting this country. He's actually destroying America with his death wish for his father. He's the evildoer. He's the man with the weapons of mass destruction. His psychology is so simple."
What's scary is this sounds quite plausible.
Back to Top