Friday, August 13, 2004

Creative Editing

There is a sound file out there on the internet being shared by rightwingers that you should know about. The file depicts a young John Kerry in 1971 saying, "Yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed, in that I took part in shootings in free-fire zones, I conducted harassment and interdiction fire, I used .50-caliber machine guns which were granted and ordered to use, which were our only weapon against people. I took part in search-and-destroy missions."



But listen carefully, it seems there is something missing? Yes, indeed, the file was doctored to remove two independent clauses that precede the "yes." Here is what he really said.

"There are all kinds of atrocities, and I would have to say that, yes, yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed, in that I took part in shootings in free-fire zones, I conducted harassment and interdiction fire, I used .50-caliber machine guns which were granted and ordered to use, which were our only weapon against people. I took part in search-and-destroy missions, in the burning of villages..."




Placed in its context, the statement by Kerry makes sense. He was not confessing to having committed the kinds of war atrocities he'd told the Senate about. He was discussing the fact that in his opinion there are many kinds of atrocities. Obviously, Kerry believed then that some of the conduct of war he'd taken part in was atrocious. A fine distinction perhaps, but worth keeping in mind when some rightwinger tries to make you think Kerry admitted to real atrocities.